We've got great news—The New Petzval 85 Art Lens is now readily available in the Lomography Online Shop! It will be delivered right away, don’t miss out on securing your piece of photographic history!
A Very Special Portrait Lens
Manufactured in Russia by Zenit, the Lomography New Petzval 85 Art Lens is a stunning reinvention of one of the greatest lenses of all time. Each lens is crafted from brass and features high-quality glass optics that produce images with extreme sharpness, strong color saturation, artful vignetting and absolutely beautiful swirly bokeh backgrounds. For the first time ever, you can easily get the Petzval’s photographic look with Canon EF or Nikon F mount analogue and digital cameras. The lens offers both photographers and filmmakers the chance to shoot truly unique photographs and videos.
Special Lens Design
Most modern lenses are designed to minimize field curvature, so you’ll have the whole image in focus. However, the Petzval lens design gives its photos a totally different optical effect. You’ll get an area which is very sharp at the focus of the photograph over a narrow field. Next, there is progressive vignetting towards the non-focused areas, which helps draw the viewer’s attention to the crisp and focused area of the photograph, making it perfect for portraits where you want your subject to be in the center of attention.
I have both a Canon EF and Nikon F camera. Will my lens work with both?
Unfortunately each Petzval lens is designed with either a Canon or Nikon mount, so your lens will not automatically work with both. It is possible to get an adapter which allows you to shoot with a Nikon lens on a Canon camera body (but not an adapter from Canon lens to Nikon body, since the flange distance is longer for Nikon than Canon).
We strongly advise, however, against using such adaptors with the New Petzval 85 Art Lens since each lens is precisely calibrated using a collimator for perfect infinite focusing in our production factory. We cannot accept any responsibility for damage to your camera or lens caused by using such an adapter.
My DSLR isn’t a full frame image sensor. What difference will this make to my Petzval photos?
The Lomography New Petzval Petzval 85 Art Lens is totally compatible with cameras without a full-frame sensor. However, on cameras with a smaller image sensor there will be a crop factor so you so you may notice a lesser effect than with a full-frame sensor camera. On a crop-sensor camera, the sensor is smaller; so you effectively get a crop of the image you would have gotten from a full-frame sensor camera.
Are the Petzval Lenses coated and is the lens waterproof/weatherproof?
All Petzval lens elements are multi-coated in a special formula to protect them. However, we cannot disclose the full details of the materials due to industry standards.
Like most manual lenses, the Petzval is not weather/waterproof. However, to prevent dust particles getting into the aperture slots, there is a lining material to cover the Waterhouse aperture slots. The Lens also comes with a special ‘blank’ aperture ring which can be inserted to cover the aperture slot when the lens is not in use.
The lens can also be taken apart to clean inside if any dust happens to get in; however, we recommend that this type of lens cleaning is only done by a qualified lens technician to avoid damage to your wonderful lens.
- New Petzval 85 Art Lens Nikon Mount
- Petzval Book
- 7 Standard Aperture Plates
- Cleaning Cloth
- Leather Pouch
- Brass Lens Cap
- Rebirth of a Legend: The Lomography New Petzval 85 Art Lens is a reinvention of the legendary Petzval Lens first conceived of in Vienna, Austria in 1840. This new lens allows both photographers and filmmakers to create unique images and videos.
- Premium Optics: The New Petzval 85 Art Lens is crafted in brass and features premium glass optics. It is manufactured in Russia by renowned lens design company, Zenit.
- Lens Compatibility: This lens is compatible with all Canon EF and Nikon F mount analogue and digital cameras.
- Perfect Portraits: Photos shot with the Petzval Lens have a unique appeal because of its sharpness in the center, narrow depth of field and swirly bokeh effect. This lens is perfect for portrait photography because it keeps your subject the center of attention.
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.2
- Apertures: Waterhouse aperture set, up to f/16
- Image Circle: 44mm
- Field of View: 30 degrees
- Lens Mounting Profile: Nikon F
- Color: Brass or Black
- Electronic Contacts: No
- Closest Focusing Distance: 1m
- Focusing Mechanism: Gear Rack Focusing
- Filter Thread: 58mm
- Image Circle: 44mm
New Petzval 85 Art Lens - Nikon F Mount (Brass)
SKU petzval85_nikon Lens Mount Nikon Mount Brand Lomography Aperture Waterhouse System Available Apertures Waterhouse aperture plates, up to f/16 Focal Length 85mm Material Metal
Strictly Non-Refundable nor Exchangable
Please Proceed to the Store During Opening Hours for Purchase or Enquiries.